About Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme
Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme is part of the national programme which by 2020 is expected to provide support to 100,000 individuals each year.
Those referred to the service will receive tailored, personalised support to reduce their risk of Type 2 diabetes including education on healthy eating and lifestyle, help to lose weight and physical exercise programmes, all of which together have been proven to reduce the risk of developing the disease.
You are eligible for your local NHS Healthier You service if you meet the following criteria:
How to join
If you have been told you are at risk of diabetes and meet the criteria, you can access your local Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme service in the following ways:
- A referral from your GP or nurse
- A referral from a Health Check professional
What can you expect?
Your local Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme service is free to all those at risk of Type 2 diabetes, who are registered with a GP in one of our supported locations.
Once you have been referred to the programme, you will undertake the following stages:
- Stage 1: Initial one-to-one assessment your Health & Wellbeing coach to assess your health and wellbeing using a number of measurements, including height, weight, waist circumference and a finger prick blood sample if required
- Stage 2: Join a Healthy Foundations group, which consists of two elements; Xpert Health nutrition sessions and physical activity drawing on healthy lifestyle advice and physical activity
- Stage 3: Join Prevention Plus group sessions which will help you to build on the dietary knowledge gained during the Healthy Foundations sessions
- Stage 4: During your six and nine month reviews, our coaches will retake a number of your measurements, including height, weight, waist circumference and a finger prick blood sample
Sessions are held at various locations with times to suit you, including day, evenings and weekends. You’re sure to find one convenient for you.
The ICS Health & Wellbeing team are passionate about people and their health. If you’re worried about diabetes and want to talk to us about how to prevent it, then get in touch. You’ll find us personable, friendly, positive and encouraging. We're here to help you.