Welcome to the NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme
We are excited to welcome you to the Healthier You: NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme.
What is the Diabetes Prevention Programme?
The Diabetes Prevention Programme is a free service, spanning 9 months, available to all those at risk of type 2 diabetes. The programme will help you make positive lifestyle changes, reduce your blood sugar levels and reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
There are two ways to take part in the programme, depending on your personal preference.
Group based sessions
Our interactive sessions led by our qualified Coaches, provide an opportunity to engage with others to help you in reducing your risk of developing 2 type diabetes.
The groups will connect you with others, meaning you never feel alone on your journey to better health.
- Fully supported with our bespoke diabetes prevention app, online learning, and our community Facebook group.
The group based programme has four stages:
- Initial assessment: One-to-one telephone appointment with one of our health Coaches.
- Healthy Foundations: 6 fortnightly group sessions that include nutrition guidance and an introduction to physical activity and its benefits.
- Taking Charge: 7 monthly group sessions that focus individual strategies and tools to empower long term progress.
- End of programme review: One-to-one appointment to celebrate your achievements and consolidate learning to date.
70% of service user's on the group based programme reduced their HbA1c to a healthy range and 80% of those who start the programme overweight reduce their weight.
With over 200 new groups starting every month, we are sure there will be a group to suit you.
We know after much research that joining a group and the social support it offers increases your chance of meeting your health goals.
Find out more about the group-based sessions here
- Specialist and personalised dietary support from a coach over 9 months available via one-to-one or peer support.
- Coaching and ongoing support provided via Oviva’s NHS Digital-approved app.
- Entirely remote with no need to travel, so you can access support wherever you are, including evenings or at weekends.
- Life-time access to psychological and nutritional advice on our app, to help you gain confidence and keep up positive lifestyle changes long term
Those who start the programme lose on average 4.5kg and 97% would recommend the programme to family and friends.
The digital behaviour change programme has 3 stages:
- Start: You’ll tell us a little more about yourself, your health and well being and we’ll match you with the right healthcare plan that makes sense for you. After downloading the Oviva app, your coach sets you up with one-to-one or peer support and you can get started with tracking your goals, meals, activity and weight
- Change: The first 12 weeks focus on intensive behaviour change to work towards your personal health goal with the support from your health coach or peers. This will help you in this early stage of making long term changes to your lifestyle
- Sustain: For the remainder of the programme you will continue to build confidence in maintaining your new healthier behaviour long term, helped with monthly support. You will continue to self-track your activities and grow your knowledge using the weekly online resources, to help keep up your new habits
Find out more about the one-to-one digital programme here
No longer interested?
If you're no longer interested in the NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme and wish to be discharged please click the button below. You will be asked to complete a short form so we can locate you on our system. Once actioned you will receive a discharge letter from our team.